Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roadtrip!!!

I am getting ready today for a college road trip with Steven and Sariah.  She is going to have an over-nighter with the college.  They give the kids a tour, party, college function, she’s going to see a musical, feed them dinner in town (Roy’s Pizza), they sleep over, and in the morning breakfast and a drawing for prizes.  She also gets a t-shirt.  Steven and I are staying at a B&B down the road in the next town, Manti, Utah.
It’s exciting for Sariah to contemplate College, but her fears are starting to materialize and she is procrastinating very important things in order to be successful in school, like scholarship applications, presentations, letters of recommendation, the list is getting longer.
The realization of being at school all by herself is starting to overwhelm her to the point of paralyzing her best efforts.
Are we all like Sariah, yep!  A big yep!  I know I have been a huge procrastinator!   We get bombarded by the voices coming into our heads from without, telling us negative messages to thwart our progress and success.  I have been learning from genius Kirk Duncan, to write down the negative messages as soon as they come into our heads and draw a line down the middle of the paper and flip the negative statements into positive + one more positive making two positives for every negative… i.e.
You are never going to lose weight.                           You are losing weight and are beautiful.
You are not a good mom.                                           You are an awesome mom and a great cook.
See what I mean?  Now when the “YOU” turns into an “I” statement, i.e. I am no good, that message is from you, reinforcing what was said in the “YOU” form.  Emotional death is eminent if these are the messages swirling in your head, the “I” statements.  Get them out of your head immediately.  Remember God doesn’t make junk.  He loves you and is pulling for you.  He believes in you, and if that’s all you can hold on to until you believe in you, hold on with all your might.  Drop to your knees and pray for strength to believe on his words.  Write, write, write!  I keep a negative journal and a positive journal.  I carry them with me, as Kirk advises.  I write the negative as soon as it’s in my head, like about “how stupid this blog is, because no one will ever read it, no one will care about you, stop it’s a waste of time.”  It’s not a waste of time for me, it’s for me.  I can see my own progress, my own dreams, and weaknesses down on computer paper.
I believe in me and I believe in Sariah.  I know that she is going to do great things with music and bless the world with the ability to bring music to preemies, children and the elderly.  She will touch hearts and change them, starting with her own.  She has survived such a traumatic beginning in life; she is so strong and has so much courage, I KNOW she will go far!  She’s also too stubborn not too, she just needs to stop being her own roadblock and believe in her abilities.  I love you Sariah, I love you Trish, I love my blog readers.  Write that in your positive journal, someone out there loves you and believes in you, and Aubree R.,  if you are reading this….I’m one of your biggest fans and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment