Tuesday, February 8, 2011

one, two put on your shoes; three, four you're out the door; five, six put down agression sticks; seven, eight you are great; nine, ten you're ready to begin

I posed the question on Friday last, "Are you half full or half empty?"

Have you pondered over this query?  How can a person be half full or half empty?  Look at your perception.
Are you a complainer, easily offended by others, consistently having bad days?  Well my guess would be that you answered the question as half empty.

Are you chronically tired, over-worked, in need of service yourself after all the service you've rendered to others, and in need of a vacation?  My guess would be you answered half full.

The goal is to answer this question as neither.  Each day when we awaken, we can consciencely choose to feel full.  Full of optimism, joy, and in search of opportunities to grow to overflowing.  As I serve, it fills my cup even more, for the benefits outweigh anything that might be leaving me.  If perhaps I wake up in the morning and I do not choose, I am letting the decision go by the wayside; and what normally ensues is, my day goes by the wayside as soon as I'm out the door.

When I do not choose to be full, I find myself stuck in old patterns of self-deprecation, addictive behaviors, devaluing my children, husband and myself.  It doesn't end until my knees finally hit the floor and I find myself having to repent for for the mayhem created as I plowed through my day and people; usually with no thought of good will toward others, seeking only inward pleasure instead of joy.  It can happen oh so quickly, that one barely notices until it's too late.  But, is it ever too late?  I will admit, humility is hard to find in yourself when you are on the path of destruction, and applying the brakes can feel like you will need the "runaway truck lane", full of gravel, in order to stop yourself and reroute, in order to restore peace and joy.

Humility and a willing heart are key.  Counting doesn't work, refocusing doesn't work.  Honest admittance, deep humility through repentance are the only ways I know that work.  Now what happens?  "Having trust in the Atonement requires us to allow our feelings of guilt to be washed away by Christ's eternal sacrifice.  Satan tries to tether our sins to our soul with a cord of guilt, resulting in the cycle of self-punishment, self-deprecation and self-imposed misery, which continue the cycle, until we allow our guilt to be consumed by the Atonement".1  The Atonement allows us to be imperfect constantly, and still continue to grow, learn and experience a rebirth every time we majorly "screw up".

This is what is meant in Psalms 2:12, "Blessed are all they who put their trust in him." Also Psalms 55:22, "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee."

May we always take the few seconds each day to choose to be full and help make others full.  Look for the joy in life, and the good in mankind, and the smell of brownies and fresh baked bread, they are sure to put a smile on any one's face!  Hug a child, call a friend, and look in the mirror and tell yourself how much value you are to those in your life.  For you are worth more than rubies, gold and diamonds.  You are priceless!

1. This is from an article on trust that I read.  It is by Stanford B. Owen; who served an LDS mission in Nigeria from 2004-2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment